We engage the individual and family to develop a personalized treatment team of skilled professionals to assist individuals stay sober and/or manage their mental illness long-term. Each team is unique to the family’s situation but may consist of a psychotherapist, psychiatrist, recovery coach and an attorney. As appropriate, we provide the legal and clinical services needed, initiate referrals, coordinate services, provide transportation (when necessary), oversee the team, support and manage crisis situations, advocate and walk with the family every step of the way.
Example: Mental Health
A 23 year old male is diagnosed with schizophrenia and suffers from anosognosia( a lack of insight about ones illness ). He resides at home with his parents and has experienced difficulty complying with treatment interventions causing his parents significant stress and anxiety. The young man has a history of legal involvement and is resistant to taking medications. He is unemployed and had to withdraw from college due to his illness.
How can we help?
- Meet with the family to obtain history, identify concerns and barriers to treatment, discuss legal issues and provide psychoeducation.
- Conduct a Needs Assessment,
- Provide Recommendations,
- Develop an action plan,
- Initiate Referrals,
- Schedule appointments,
- Provide Individual and/or Family counseling sessions, recovery coaching for life skills, vocational rehabilitation and reinforcement of coping skills,
- Arrange transportation to and from appointments, arrange for psychiatric care and medication management.
- Understanding the 302 process,
- Advance mental health directives,
- Diversion from adverse police contact and the criminal justice system,
- Special needs trust,
- Disability Benefits and Financial Planning issues.
Example: Substance Use Disorder
A 22 year old female with a history of opiate dependence. She has been in residential inpatient treatment 5 times and not been able to maintain continuous sobriety. The client has a history of childhood sexual abuse and has attempted suicide on one previous occasion. She has legal involvement due to possession charges. She is currently residing at home with her parents and is actively using approximately 4-6 bags of heroin daily.
How can we help?
- Meet with Family for a Clinical and Legal Consultation
- Conduct a Needs Assessment
- Provide Recommendations
- Develop a Plan
- Initiate Referrals and schedule appointments
Example of a Plan
- Alicia will be referred to an inpatient treatment facility for detox. Sarah Espenshade will work with Alicia and her family to initiate the referrals and make arrangements.
- Sarah Espenshade LCSW will collaborate with the inpatient treatment team to assess progress and coordinate discharge.
- Sarah Espenshade LCSW will work with the family to devise a home contract for Alicia to sign prior to discharge
- Client will return to Espenshade Counseling on day of discharge and will meet with Tiffany Spilove LMFT and Peter Brizick CRS for a comprehensive evaluation and devise a treatment plan.
- Michael Harper will obtain proper documentation to request a continuance for upcoming court date and start preparing her case.
- Alicia will with Tiffany Spilove, twice a week for individual counseling
- Alicia will meet with Peter Brizick, twice a week for recovery coaching
- Daily check-ins with Peter Brizick
- Weekly Urine Drug Screens
- Alicia will engage in group therapy once a week with Tiffany Spilove
- Alicia will attend a minimum of 3 mutual support meetings per week.
- Sarah Espenshade will meet with the family once a week for family counseling.
- Family will attend 1-2 mutual support meetings weekly ie ALANON or Caron Support group.
- Monthly Family/provider meetings to discuss progress, address concerns and set goals.
Michael Harper will represent the client with respect to her criminal charges and expungement of any criminal record. He will also pro-actively monitor her status throughout the probationary term to ensure that any potential legal problems or challenges are quickly and effectively handled.
Individual, Group & Family Counseling
Weekly or bi-weekly counseling for those struggling with substance use, addictive behaviors, co-occuring or mental health challenges. Our clinicians use evidence based practices including CBT, motivational interviewing, DBT, solution focused and experiential therapy in conjunction with concepts from the 12-step model and SMART recovery.